Federal Transportation and Logistics License

Whether you are the CEO of a transportation company, a professional driver, or a newcomer to the industry, you will need to meet certification and licensing criteria at all levels. It is important to follow the licensing criteria if you want to keep your legal license to transport the product. Plus, full compliance shows you have the carrying capacity and judgment to ensure the safe movement of passengers and cargo. Failure to comply with transportation industry regulations may result in state sanctions, as well as license denial, revocation, or suspension.

Motor Transport License Requirements Overview

Before working, companies that provide freight or freight brokerage services must obtain a registration and license number. In most situations, permits are issued at the federal and state levels, but state criteria often differ.

New carriers must register with the Secretary of State before applying for a permit. Articles of incorporation or articles of association, depending on the type of legal person requested,  you must fill out.

Federal Register

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is responsible for Federal Motor Vehicle Registration Regulations (FMCSA). FMCSA is responsible for two different types of service provider registrations: USDOT number registration and operator rights registration (MC number). In addition, within 90 days of requesting an operating license, the carrier must appoint a handler.

Registering DOT Numbers

Federal carriers that carry passengers or commercial cargo are generally required to register a DOT number, and 32 states also require interstate carriers to register a DOT number: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, North Carolina South, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

The FMCSA Unified Registration System is used to process initial DOT Number (URS) registrations. As information changes, service providers and brokers should update their registrations regularly once a DOT number is available. All subscribers are also required to submit updates every two years whether or not their information changes.

Regulatory Authority (MC number)

As a general rule, carriers and brokers that transfer or facilitate the movement of people or goods across state borders must obtain a license to operate FMCSA. Carriers and brokers can carry many different types of cargo with an operator license, and companies that provide services in a variety of cargo classes may need to apply for multiple operator licenses. The type of transport operator will affect The type and degree of assurance required by the FMSCA.

The Unified Registration System can be used by new businesses seeking permission to operate first while existing businesses should use the traditional registration system to amend or supplement their registrations. their signature. Carriers and brokers must meet insurance criteria before applying. The perpetual authorization price is $300, while the registration name change fee is $14.

Designation of Processors

Landlords or handlers must designate processors in each state where they are authorized to operate prior to obtaining a license to operate. The handling agents function as the company’s representatives and receive legal documents on behalf of the carrier. In addition, freight brokers must appoint an agent in each state where they have offices and where they draft contracts. To designate an agent, service providers and brokers should use Form FMCSA BOC3: Designate an agent for process service.

Hazardous material registration

To transport hazardous materials, you need an additional qualification.

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)

The owner or registrant of every highway motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of 55,000 pounds or more, pays HVUT to the IRS. Carriers with 25 or more trucks must complete Form 2290.

Government Electronic Registration

Carriers must register with several government agencies, which can be time-consuming. Federal / Foreign carriers must have a UCRA license, International Registration Plan (IRP) registration, International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) registration, and Commercial Driver’s License in all countries ( CDL). Some jurisdictions grant temporary licenses or additional tax registrations to specific types of carriers in addition to the usual criteria. Regulations for independent/internal service providers vary widely, although most are exempt from UCR, IRP, and IFTA.

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

Most interstate transportation providers must sign up for the Unified Carrier Register each year. Despite the fact that some states (Arizona, Hawaii, Florida, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, Vermont, Wyoming, and Washington DC) do not participate in the UCR, service providers from these states often frequently need to register when operating by participating in Statuses. Fees range from $76 for up to two cars to $73,346 for businesses of 1,000 or more people. While state-specific forms are available, service providers from any state can apply online using Indiana’s UCR registration system.

International Registration Plan (IRP) and International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)

IRP and IFTA are two separate reciprocal agreements that combine member countries’ registration and reporting obligations. Because of these agreements, service providers only need to register and report in their state, and fees and information will be transferred to other states where they operate. Interstate turnover carriers of people and goods weighing 26,000 pounds or more are subject to IRP and IFTA.

Carriers must register (usually with the Department of Transportation) in their home country before doing interstate business under the international registration program. Carriers must track and report kilometers driven in each jurisdiction after applying for and obtaining proportional registration. Although registration deadlines vary from state to state, all jurisdictions have an annual reporting period that runs from July 1 to June 30.

The International Fuel Tax Agreement helps interstate carriers easily record their fuel consumption. Service providers must submit an application to their state base revenue department to apply to IFTA. Once registered, carriers must submit quarterly statistics on fuel consumption in the regions they pass through. Outside

Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)

All states require that commercial drivers obtain a commercial driver’s license before operating a commercial vehicle. Each driver must have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) in their state, along with all required vehicle-specific certifications. State criteria for adoption and testing vary, but most states require domestic carriers to be 18 or older and interstate carriers to be 21 or older. Knowledge tests, skill tests, medical standards, and background checks are all common CDL requirements.

Temporary permits

Temporary permits are generally expensive, but sometimes you need them for short trips. Oversized vehicles (in size or weight) will require a provisional permit. You need a travel permit if you are traveling to a state where your car does not have an IRP. When driving in a state where the vehicle does not have an IFTA sticker or driver’s license, you need a fuel license. Arizona, Kentucky, and New York all require temporary mileage permits.

Other Licenses and Registrations

Some states also require carriers to obtain additional permits or tax registrations in addition to those listed above. For example, For-hire carriers in California must obtain a license to transport engines before operating in the state. In Pennsylvania, national carriers must register for the automobile company’s road tax before moving into the state. And trucks weighing 55,000 pounds or more often have to register for a very heavy vehicle use tax.


Karine H

Karine H

Karine is a newcomer in the content writing field. She is studying biomedical engineering at NPUA, previously she studied marketing at LPFA. Also, she takes part in different engineering projects and competitions like USWC 21 - Venture Cup. She started content writing a year ago and since then wrote about 100 articles for various websites. Karine has done various volunteering work, business meetings, etc. According to Karine, all the volunteer jobs helped her improve her communication, team working, problem-solving skills, which nowadays helps her in content writing as she knows what people want to hear, and what information they need. This is just the beginning and everything just stats for this girl.